Updates on several LLC activities:
• Article coverage of the recent 2014 LLC Phoenix Winter Services and meetings will appear in the April issue of the Voice of Zion. Meanwhile, planning efforts continue in earnest for the 2014 LLC Summer Services in Rogers, Minn. Watch for the latest information about the service plans in the next Voice of Zion issues and on the LLC website—www.llchurch.org.
• Another event in the final planning stages is the LLC Ministers Camp to be held April 4–6 at Stony Lake Camp. Among other topics, this year’s attendees will gather around the presentation, “The Bible and a Servant of the Word,” by Tapio Holma, as well as reviewing pastoral resource materials compiled in electronic formats. We encourage congregations to review their schedules and sponsor their ministers, making it possible for as many as possible to attend.
• Detailed schedule arrangements have now been sent to congregations for Matti Heikkinen’s speaking tour in April. Heikkinen will visit North America on behalf of our sister organization in Sweden, the SFC, and begin his tour by attending the LLC Ministers Camp. In addition, during his time here, a second joint meeting of the LLC Operating Committee and SFC Work Committee will be held via Skype to discuss the mutual work of our organizations. The first such joint meeting was held in April of last year.
• A recording of congregational singing from the 2013 LLC Phoenix Winter Services is now available. Purchase “Come before His Presence with Singing” (Ps. 100:2) from your congregation bookstore or the LLC website.
• Recent visitors to the LLC office included Keijo and Säde-Pirkko Nissilä on the SRK mission tour and 29 visitors from Finland on a group trip led by Ranua Opisto principal Eero Nuolioja and American teacher Dan Waaraniemi.
• Remember to mark your calendars for this year’s Camp Staff Workshop the evening of March 6 and to attend your congregation’s Campwork-Youthwork Week event around the presentation, “My son, despise not the chastening of the Lord” (Prov. 3:11), prepared by John Stewart.
• If you haven’t yet seen the LLC’s presentations at last year’s FinnFest, note that they may be viewed on the LLC website under Quick Links by selecting the page, “LLC at FinnFest USA 2013.”
• The LLC archives received a valuable gift recently when Doug and Margaret Bratt brought a 1683 Finnish War Bible to the office for safekeeping and appreciation. This rare Bible has been a Wuollet family heirloom that Margaret Bratt received from her mother, Agnes Wuollet. As the Bratts prepare for downsizing, the Wuollet family decided the LLC archives should be this Bible’s next home.
On Saturday, February 15, over 100 “students” attended a one-day Bible course at the Laestadian Lutheran Church of Menahga. The topic was “The Parables of Jesus,” and Keijo Nissilä kept the day’s presentations as one of the scheduled events while on his SRK mission trip to North America. In answering the question of the disciples about why He spoke in parables, Jesus said to them, “Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given” (Matt. 13:11). Jesus in His great love wanted to teach what the kingdom of heaven is like to those who could not see it or understand it. To receive the gift of living faith and thereby endeavor to walk as a child in God’s kingdom is the greatest of blessings. Jesus said to His disciples, “But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear” (Matt. 13:16).
March 2014 Voice of Zion