April updates on several LLC activities:
The first LLC Domestic Mission Work Weekend took place March 16 and 17 as a joint event of the Minneapolis and Elk River congregations. The schedule contained sessions for the congregations and sessions focused for ministers, teachers, and youth workers. Topics included “Be ready always to give an answer,” “Lessons from Jesus’ Conversations,” and a foreign mission work update. Similar weekends are planned for other areas in the months ahead.
• The annual Camp Staff Workshop was held the evening of March 8. Attendees gathered at the LLC office and by teleconference, calling in from 22 different locations across the continent. Using this year’s Campwork/Youthwork presentation by Paul Haataja, “Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever” (Heb. 13:8), Craig Kumpula offered suggestions for using this material in camp planning. The evening also included an update on LLC’s camp policies and a review of the new online camp work application process.
• Congregations have recently received a welcome letter and schedule information for the Kamp Kipa Dedication weekend, May 25–27. Activities are scheduled for both the Prescott Valley and Phoenix churches, as well as at Kamp Kipa near Prescott. An open house and dedication program will take place Saturday, May 26, at the camp. Congregations will convey greetings through their respective camp support areas. Finnish guests, Sami Pikkuaho, Jouni Hintikka, and Pekka Kainua, will represent their Zion and SRK. Considering the nature of the camp access and the limited parking available, guests are asked to use shuttle transportation from a location in Prescott. All are welcome! Please see the services ad on page 12 in this paper.
• Ted Wuollet (Phoenix) was appointed Kamp Kipa’s first caretaker. He officially assumed his duties April 1st. We wish God’s blessings to Ted in his new role.
• Final arrangements are now in place for the 2012 LLC Ministers Camp, to be held April 20–22 at Stony Lake Camp. Thank you for making it possible for your congregation’s ministers to attend!
• A main agenda item for the LLC Board’s April 14 meeting is to finalize the July 7 LLC Annual Meeting Agenda and the LLC 2013 Draft Operating Plan and Budget, after which a notice and packet will be sent to congregations. Please attend the meetings scheduled in your congregations to review this material and provide input to your delegates.
• The latest LLC audio publication, “On the cross the sun is shining,” has sold well. If you haven’t purchased it, it is still timely for the Easter season!
• Information is now being compiled for the 2012 LLC Telephone and Address Directory. Please update your listing with your congregation contacts or by contacting Ruth Roiko at the LLC office. You may also update your information using the Change of Address form under the Publications pull-down menu on the LLC’s website.
• With warm memories of the 2012 LLC Phoenix Winter Services, we thank the Phoenix and Prescott Valley congregations for hosting those services again this year.
May the joy of Easter fill your hearts to sing as the songwriter has written: As the heav’nly angels do, we can be rejoicing. We can run to tell the news: “Our Jesus now is living!” (SHZ 111:4).
April 2012 Voice of Zion